The Inn at Jackson was built in 1902 as the summer home of Kate Corrine Baldwin of Brooklyn, NY and of Baldwin piano family fame on land purchased from her friend Katerine Wormeley. For a number of years prior to the purchase, Baldwin had been a regular guest at Wentworth Hall in the village, during which time she befriended Wormeley, another Summer Jackson resident.
Wormeley's house, Brookmead, was adjacent to the property and was designed by world-renowned architect Stanford White(1853-1906). It is believed that Wormeley referred Baldwin to Stanford White for the design of her home.
Kate Baldwin and her relations continued to use the cottage until around 1922, when it was sold to Ella and Arthur Gray and became an inn known as Gray's Manor until 1935. Since then, under various owners, it has continued to be used as a hostelry, with such names as Alrich Inn, Jackson Lodge, and its current name, the Inn at Jackson. At some point after 1922, the rear ell was extended, and other modifications undertaken, including the elimination of the open verandas.
The inn transferred ownership on 3/31/05 from the previous owners of 22 years, Bob Bowman and Lori Tradewell, to Don and Joyce Bilger, formerly of Pennsylvania. The Bilgers renovated the property in May of 2005 and the result is what you see today. The Inn at Jackson is the last original Stanford White structure remaining in